Share to help stimulate good governance, ensure future of people & M’sia
No News Is Bad News
Rafizi: Reformasi Bersama
KUALA LUMPUR, May 17, 2026: Today Saturday May 17, 2026, a political tsunami of sorts exploded.
> FORMER PKR Reformasi (Reformation) leader Rafizi Ramli and his Reformasi mates announced that they are quitting PKR and taking over multi-racial Bersama (Malaysian United Party); and
> PRIME Minister, PKR president and Pakatan Harapan (PH) chairman Anwar Ibrahim declared that PH was prepared to go solo and contest all seats (in the Peninsula).

Rafizi and his staunch Reformasi followers, who were ousted by Anwar and his daughter Nurul Izzah, finally revealed that they had been planning for their departure from PKR.
Rafizi said Bersama would not join any coalition and that it would serve as an alternative political force for multi-racial Malaysians.
And Anwar announced: “PH is prepared to contest all seats in several states, including Negeri Sembilan, Selangor, Penang and Pahang, if Barisan Nasional (BN) proceeds with full-scale electoral challenges at upcoming polls.
“PH has been in discussion for months on its political strategy and would respond firmly if other parties choose to contest all seats.”
PH comprises PKR, DAP and Amanah.
Obviously, the racial and religious bigoted Umno pushed its political luck too far and broke the camel’s back, so to speak, for Anwar to respond likewise.
Johor Umno had declared that it would go solo in the next state elections and contest all seats.
Anwar was also reported to have said he may call an early general election (GE) if tensions within the Unity Government (UG) continue to worsen.
Anwar’s words may all be NATO (No Action Talk Only).
Why has he not sacked Umno politicians who hold government posts and then call for a snap GE?
So, multi-Malaysians, who do you now trust to place your hopes for justice to fight corruption and to defend your Constitutional rights?
Some in social-media have declared that Bersama is riding on only Chinese and Indian votes in expense of DAP.
Well, answer this then: With 40 seats in Parliament (second largest after the Taliban PAS), has DAP defended Reformasi for multi-racial Malaysians?
And Besama is also expected to field candidates nationwide, including in Malay-majority seats.
What multi-racial Malaysians need is to unite and support Besama strongly for check and balance, if not take over the federal government.
Come GE16, multi-racial Malaysians will cast their ballot to determine their future: Pakatan Harapan (DAP, PKR and Amanah), Pakatan Nasional (Taliban-like PAS, Bersatu and Gerakan), Umno-led BN and Bersama.
PH can still be supported but Anwar and his daughter must be given the boot in GE16.
No News Is Bad News reproduces below a slew of news report on the political tsunami of sorts:
Rafizi Ramli, Nik Nazmi take over Malaysian United Party
(Left to right) Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli, and MUP founder Tan Gin Theam hold up a mock registration certificate at the PJ Performing Arts Centre in Petaling Jaya on May 17, 2026. — Picture by Raymond Manuel
By Muhammad Yusry
Sunday, 17 May 2026 3:06 PM MYT
PETALING JAYA, May 17 — A year after their departure from the Cabinet, PKR’s Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad today announced that they will take over the Malaysian United Party (MUP) as their new political platform.
The announcement was made today at the PJ Performing Arts Centre in a symbolic handover ceremony. MUP’s founder and president, Tan Gin Theam, presented the two PKR stalwarts with a mock party registration certificate to officiate the transition.
MUP or Parti Bersama Malaysia is a little-known, Penang-based political party that was officially registered on December 2, 2016.
Today’s announcement coincides with the Pakatan Harapan convention taking place at the same time in Johor Baru, the first time such an event has been held since 2022.
Speaking during the “Hala Tuju Politik Rafizi dan Nik Nazmi” event here, Rafizi said the new platform was aimed at Malaysians who believe political power should belong to the people rather than politicians.
He also thanked Tan and the existing party leadership for agreeing to hand over the party to them, describing the move as sincere support for their political aspirations.
“Our aim is to offer a political platform to Malaysians who share our thinking, those who believe that political power belongs to the people, not to politicians.
“As fate would have it, Parti Bersama Malaysia was also founded by ordinary people who were not well known on the national political stage, so it is fitting that our platform moving forward is a party established by ordinary Malaysians.
“That is why we are very pleased that there is no need to change the party’s name, which has existed since 2016,” he said.
Rafizi also said that the group had anticipated difficulties in registering a completely new political party.
“So, what we have done over the past year is this: we registered several new parties as decoys, so that those in power, in Putrajaya, would laugh at us because they thought our efforts would go nowhere if approval was denied,” he said.
“At the same time, we studied existing small parties and began discussions where there was alignment in intentions and ideas.”
Rafizi also invited Malaysians to register as party members and contribute financially through crowdfunding via the party’s website. - Mlalay Mail
Bersama to go solo in elections, offer voters ‘real alternative’, says Rafizi
Rafizi Ramli says Parti Bersama Malaysia will be multiracial and contest seats across political divides.
Rafizi Ramli said Parti Bersama Malaysia, which he and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad will join, will determine its electoral strategy based on ground support rather than political alliances.
PETALING JAYA: Pandan MP Rafizi Ramli says Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama), which he and Setiawangsa MP Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad will be joining next week, will contest elections independently and will not align itself with any political coalition.
Rafizi said Bersama would position itself as a multiracial platform which contests seats across political divides.
“We are not tied to any coalition. We are multiracial and open to contesting anywhere,” he told a press conference today, adding that Bersama would determine its electoral strategy based on ground support rather than political alliances.
“We will contest wherever there is support, regardless of party – Barisan Nasional, Pakatan Harapan, Perikatan Nasional, PAS, or others.
“We want to offer voters a real alternative.”
Rafizi also stressed that both he and Nik Nazmi were not driven by positions or titles, but by the need to push for political change, which he said could not be achieved solely through electoral victories.
He said Bersama, which has existed for about a decade, would now take on a national role focusing on youth leadership development, with older leaders mentoring younger candidates.
Rafizi also said the party’s symbol, featuring the mouse deer or kancil, represents agility, intelligence and courage, while its five stars reflect the Rukun Negara, and its pink and blue colours symbolise inclusivity and stability.
Rafizi, Nik Nazmi say quitting party to avoid anti-hopping law implications
Rafizi Ramli says decision to vacate seats will allow the Dewan Rakyat speaker to determine if by-elections are necessary.
PETALING JAYA: Pandan MP Rafizi Ramli and Setiawangsa MP Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad said their decision to vacate their parliamentary seats after deciding to join Parti Bersama Malaysia is aimed at avoiding anti-hopping law implications.
Rafizi said the decision to vacate their seats was meant to allow Dewan Rakyat Speaker Johari Abdul to determine whether by-elections were necessary.
“We believe vacating our seats removes anti-hopping implications, as we are returning the mandate to voters,” he told a press conference.
“I believe there are many other MPs and assemblymen who, once this platform is established, will consider joining. The biggest challenge now is the anti-hopping law, which restricts MPs and assemblymen from acting freely.
“That is why we have to take the lead by vacating our parliamentary seats and returning the mandate to the people. This allows us the freedom to join a new political party.”
Rafizi, who is set to defend the Pandan parliamentary seat under Bersama, said it is still too early to determine how many seats the party would contest.
He said the strategy would be reviewed over the next few months based on public support.
The former economy minister said he decided to join Bersama after a year-long process of internal reflection following the May 2025 PKR elections, during which he lost the deputy presidency to Nurul Izzah Anwar.
He also said his assessment of voter sentiment has shown dissatisfaction with all major political coalitions.
“Change does not happen only through elections. It takes time to build ideas and platforms,” he said, adding that Bersama would focus on youth leadership development and give opportunities to younger candidates.
Rafizi, Nik Nazmi to quit PKR, vacate seats
The two former ministers will officially join Parti Bersama Malaysia on Tuesday.
Rafizi Ramli (left) and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad will submit their resignation letters to PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh on Tuesday.
PETALING JAYA: Pandan MP Rafizi Ramli and Setiawangsa MP Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, who earlier announced that they would take over Parti Bersama Malaysia, will quit PKR and vacate their seats.
The former PKR leaders also said they will officially join Parti Bersama Malaysia on Tuesday.
Rafizi and Nik Nazmi said they will submit a letter to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Johari Abdul tomorrow to vacate their seats.
They will submit their resignation letters to PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh on Tuesday.
Rafizi has been with PKR for nearly 27 years, while Nik Nazmi joined PKR in the late 1990s.
Rafizi and Nik Nazmi resigned as economy minister and natural resources and environmental sustainability minister, respectively, in May 2025.
This came after Rafizi lost the PKR deputy president’s post to Nurul Izzah Anwar in the party elections. His running mate, Nik Nazmi, also failed to retain his vice-presidency.
Rafizi’s ties with the PKR leadership turned frosty after the PKR polls in May 2025 and he has been publicly critical of the government and the party since.
He had previously hinted at leaving PKR after Parliament is dissolved to defend his Pandan seat, and even survived an attempt to remove him as Pandan PKR chief at the division’s annual general meeting in April.
PKR terminates membership of Rafizi, Nik Nazmi
PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh says this action was taken after the duo declared that they were leaving the party.
PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh said the membership of Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad is deemed terminated the moment they declared they were leaving the party. (Facebook pic)
PETALING JAYA: PKR has terminated the membership of Pandan MP Rafizi Ramli and Setiawangsa MP Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad following their move to vacate their parliamentary seats and leave the party.
PKR secretary-general Fuziah Salleh said the party has audio recordings of speeches by both MPs today, in which they declared their intention to vacate their parliamentary seats and leave PKR.
“PKR accepts their declaration, and under Clause 9(1)(c) of the party’s constitution, their membership is deemed terminated the moment they declared they were leaving the party.
“The declaration clearly complies with Article 49A(1)(a)(ii) of the Federal Constitution, which provides that a parliamentary seat shall become vacant if an MP ceases to be a member of the party under which they were elected,” she said in a statement this evening.
Fuziah said she would forward their cases to Dewan Rakyat Speaker Johari Abdul, who would determine their parliamentary status under the Federal Constitution.
She also said PKR will review the membership status of other MPs from the party who were present at today’s announcement.
PH ready to contest all seats, says Anwar
Anwar Ibrahim says PH has no choice but to respond in kind if other coalitions choose to contest against it during upcoming elections.
Pakatan Harapan chairman Anwar Ibrahim today acknowledged that all political parties have the right to determine their own electoral strategies.
PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Harapan chairman Anwar Ibrahim has signalled that PH is prepared to contest all seats in several states, including Negeri Sembilan, Selangor, Penang and Pahang, if Barisan Nasional proceeds with full-scale electoral challenges at upcoming polls.
The prime minister said PH has been in discussion for months on its political strategy and would respond firmly if other parties choose to contest all seats.
Anwar added that if other parties choose confrontation, PH would have no choice but to respond in kind.
“If that is their choice, then our answer is we are ready,” he said during today’s PH convention in Johor Bahru.
“Today, Pakatan Harapan has decided to respond firmly… Pakatan Harapan will contest all seats.
“In Negeri Sembilan, all seats. In Selangor, we will contest all seats. In Penang, all seats. In Pahang, all seats,” he said.
He stressed that while cooperation within the unity government is being maintained, he acknowledged that each party ultimately has the right to determine its own electoral strategy.
Federal projects key to Johor’s growth
Separately, Anwar pointed out that ties between the federal and state governments were vital for development.
He said the federal government had revived Forest City and pushed through the Johor Bahru-Singapore Rapid Transit System and Autonomous Rapid Transit system projects for Johor Bahru.
“Could all this have been done without cooperation from the federal government? Impossible,” he said.
Last night, Johor PH questioned if Johor BN sought to benefit from the collaboration with the unity government at the federal level, but chose to distance itself during elections.
Anwar also criticised leaders whom he said enriched themselves while claiming to champion Malay interests.
“Can Malays accept leaders who only talk big and enrich their own families with hundreds of millions of ringgit?
“Can Malays accept people who talk about billions and then demand more positions?” he said.
He said the country needed Malays “with dignity and values”, and that education reforms must focus not only on technology and AI, but also on morality and integrity.
“If we teach young people values and morality while corruption is treated as acceptable, then what values are we actually teaching?” he said.
Anwar may call snap election if tensions within unity govt worsen
The Pakatan Harapan chairman says he will meet coalition leaders soon to discuss the matter.
PH chairman Anwar Ibrahim said he will consider the views of other component party leaders before making any decision on early elections. (Bernama pic)
PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim says he may call an early general election if tensions within the unity government continue to worsen.
Anwar, who is also the Pakatan Harapan chairman, said he would meet PH leaders soon to discuss the matter.
“If this approach continues to strain and fracture relations within the government, then we may have to consider holding a general election nationwide,” he was quoted as saying, likely referring to Johor Barisan Nasional’s decision to go solo at the next state polls.
Anwar said while a prime minister would have the final say on dissolving Parliament, he would consider the views of other PH leaders before making any decision.
Johor BN’s decision to contest all 56 state seats led to Johor PH declaring it would do the same earlier today.
Ties between the two coalitions were also tested last month after 14 BN assemblymen in Negeri Sembilan retracted support for menteri besar Aminuddin Harun of PKR following a crisis involving the state’s royalty.
Umno, however, pledged to continue backing the unity government in Negeri Sembilan to ensure political stability despite the actions of their assemblymen.
This evening, Anwar said relations between the top leadership of PH and BN remain good and harmonious at the federal level, and that the door remains open for further negotiations.
He had said last month that there would be no snap general election, and called on all political parties to continue working together to find solutions amid the global energy crisis.


